As per the recent study published in Science Translational Medicine, medications are already available to treat a dangerous illness that might lead disfunctioning of kidney.
AKI causes long-lasting damage to the kidneys even if the kidneys recover
Researchers discovered in a study on mice that drugs often used to treat angina and high blood pressure. This significantly reduced the long-term harm caused by acute renal injury to the kidney and cardiovascular system (AKI). According to experts, the results should pave the way for better AKI therapy. AKI accounts for 20 per cent of emergency hospital admissions in the UK and is a frequent ailment. AKI must be treated quickly to prevent death. also read:-Artificial womb facility is aimed to help countries suffering from population decline
The disorder is typically brought on by other illnesses that decrease blood supply to the kidney or by drug toxicity. AKI can cause long-lasting damage to the kidneys and the cardiovascular system even if the kidneys recover.
Those who survived AKI are left with chronic kidney disease
30 per cent of those who survive an episode of AKI, are left with chronic kidney disease (CKD). The remaining 70 per cent of them, that recovers full kidney function are at an almost 30-fold increased risk of developing CKD.
According to the team of experts from the University of Edinburgh found that Patients with AKI had increased blood levels of endothelin. It is a protein that activates inflammation and causes blood vessels to constrict. Long after kidney function had recovered, Endothelin levels remained high.
Experts treated the animals with medicines that block the endothelin system
Experts treated the animals with medicines that block the endothelin system, after finding the same increase in endothelin in mice with AKI. The medicines are normally used to treat angina and high blood pressure. This actually work by stopping the production of endothelin or by shutting off endothelin receptors in cells.
Over a four-week period after AKI, the mice were monitored. People who were treated with the endothelin-blocking medicines had lower blood pressure, less inflammation and reduced scarring in the kidney. As compared with untreated mice, their blood vessels were more relaxed and kidney function was also improved.