Have you ever been to Shimla Manali, you must have seen momos, chaat, golgappa on the streets there, but have you seen people decorating Siddu’s plate? Now you will think what is Siddu? Hey the same which Kangana Ranaut likes very much and Rubina and Jyoti Dilaik have made a video while making it. This is the traditional dish of Himachal, which some people like to eat sweet or some spicy
Today let’s tell you some facts about it along with its history. Also, in this article, we also tell you the recipe for making Siddu.
Siddu was made in Chamba
Do you know where it was first made? It is believe that this dish was first made by the Brahmins of Chamba. Rajma, moong dal and rice were cooked in yogurt. It was then served with mashed lentils, bur curry and tamarind and jaggery sour and sweet chutney. The most special thing was that it was served in plates made of leaves.
Special winter dish Siddu.
This dish is eaten especially in winter and the reason for this is that it is made with plenty of ghee and the filling of pulses made in it helps to keep the body warm.
Beneficial for health
Himachali Siddu offers many health benefits. It controls blood sugar as well as reduces your food cravings. Low in glycemic index, is a good source of dietary fiber and helps keep the body warm. It is believed that this dish can also help in curing insomnia. Since it is made from fermentation method, it is considered good for gut health.
How Siddu prepares
Traditionally, its flour is prepared from flour, yeast, ghee and salt. However, some people add flour instead of flour to make a healthy version of it. You can also prepare it from millet flour. Different types of fillings are done in it. To make it sweet, people also put panjiri in it. Apart from this, many ingredients like peas, potatoes, rajma, cheese, peanuts, moong dal , walnuts etc. can be add to it
- Wheat flour – 1/2 kg
- Dry yeast – 2 tsp
- Water (lukewarm) – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Cheese – 250 grams
- Green chillies – 3-4
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Walnuts – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 5-6 cloves
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/2 tsp
How to make –
- Add yeast to the dough, mix well and then add water and knead it. Knead it well and keep it for 5-6 hours. This way the dough should swell well.
- Now prepare its stuffing. Boil the green peas and add the peas, chopped green chillies, walnuts and other ingredients in a bowl and mash well. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Knead the dough once after the prescribed time and then divide it into different pieces. Make loaves of it and make it as much as a 5-rupee coin.
- Now fill 2 teaspoons of stuffing in it and fold the dough in half. Seal the edges well. You can shape it in the shape of a bun or like garlic bread.
- Just place them in the steamer and steam for 15 minutes and fill the bowl and enjoy it with desi ghee and green mint chutney.
You will also try this recipe once in the house. If we have missed any of its facts, then also share it with us. We hope you will like this article. Like and share it and stay connected with Everybody to read similar articles.